Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Lady In Korea Part One

      Last week my girlfriend, who from henceforth will be known as The Lady or TL for short, flew over from Tennessee to visit me here in Korea.  It's been a lot of fun having her here and showing her all of the sights, smells and tastes of Korea.  I'll go through the week and show you what we've been up to.

Picked her up from the airport and on the bus to Gwangju!

     Before I could pick her up from the airport I had to get there first and that was a bit of an adventure for me.  I bought my bus ticket to Icheon thinking that it would take me to the airport but I didn't specify to ride the bus that would take me to Icheon International Airport.  While I was on the bus I got the usual stares but there was a kid in front of me who had on a soldier's uniform and it wasn't a Korean uniform.  The uniform he had on was a Chinese uniform and I know that no matter how out of place I might feel here it will never match how uncomfortable he felt.  
     Anyways, I realized my mistake in not specifying taking the Airport bus once I got to the bus terminal.  I quickly ran in and asked the concession lady where the closest subway terminal was.  Fortunately it was right next to the bus terminal so I ran down to the subway and quickly figured out the route to the airport and prayed that I got there before TL landed.   The last thing you want is for your girlfriend to fly halfway around the world and have to wait for you to pick her up.  But I made it in time and actually had to wait for her to get through customs and the baggage claim.
     After being THAT couple in the airport we had a quick bite, got on the bus to Gwangju and made it home without anymore hitches.
You would be able to see Icheon except for the haze, smog and rain.
     The next day I showed TL around my apartment, where my school is and we went downtown before heading back so she could nap and try to sleep off the jet lag.  I know that I talked her head off but it was great to finally show her the stores and shops that I've been telling her about!
     The next night was Friday and we got ready and went out for some fun together.  The first thing she noticed once we were downtown was how incredibly humid it was.  She now understood why I cut my hair off and how astounding it is that Koreans wear white pants without worrying about the sweat stains.  The first place we went to was German Bar and we hung out before Jonathan showed up from his work party.
TL is looking nice!
TL was impressed by the insulated beer pitchers which are a must with the humidity here.
     After meeting up with Jonathan we went to Wow bar for some Lemon Cap Soju.  Yes I wanted TL to experience the power of the Soju; which should never be underestimated.  She liked how smooth it was and that it tasted like Sprite but you remember what happened the first time I had Lemon Cap Soju.  While there we talked about Jonathan's prowess with the Korean ladies, watched some K-Pop videos and paid our tab.
Yes they serve popcorn as a drinking snack here.  Pure genius.
     Next we went to Mix lounge which has a great rooftop patio and after getting our seats I went to get some drinks.  The last thing TL says to me is, "Don't you dare give me a virgin drink!"  Ok a bit of history is needed here as I'm known to buy TL drinks that she thinks has alcohol but is actually just a soda and lime.  I only do it once I see that she's had an extra drink or two and she never complains in the morning when she wakes up without a hangover but it's a tricky maneuver because she will unleash Thor's Hammer on my skull if she realizes what I'm doing.
     So once she said that I knew she was going to test her drink but I knew that I had one advantage:  I have experience drinking Soju.  So I went to the bar bought myself an LIT and a Jack and Coke for TL.  But I told the bartender to pour the Jack in first and only half a shot.  I'm sure you're following me but if your not I was betting the bank that she would test her drink, taste the Jack at the bottom and then not pay attention to the rest of it.  I knew it was a smart move and went up to see if it played out.  I put the drink down, she stares me down, sips her drink, tastes the Jack and says, "Good job baby." Yes, good job indeed darling.
     Stay tuned for Part Two.

No comments: