Friday, March 9, 2012

My Brother Coming To Korea

            A couple of weeks age my brother came to visit me.  Being 6 1/2 years older than him has made it difficult for us to do a lot of things together.  So I was excited for us to have the chance to hang out and do some new things together.  He came to Korea to visit for a week before heading to Beijing.  He's studying Chinese at a university there for six months.  I'm proud of him for having taking advantage of the opportunity to study abroad and can't wait to visit him there too.  If you want to read about his experiences then check out his blog:  Finally Dug That Hole To China.
            It was awesome hanging out for a week together. For the first time we were able to relate to one another and share some great stories. I taught him how to play darts and I enjoyed seeing his reactions to Korea.  Like TL, he was surprised at seeing all the coffee shops, clothing stores and cell phone stores.  However, the funniest reaction he had was to what's unavailable here.  He couldn't believe the limited selection of beers, the high prices of imported good, the tiny meal portions, that I don't have an oven or dryer and how my shower is never hot.  He started to understand how things are really different on this side of the world and he'll have more experiences like that in China.
            I took him to my school and the kids flipped out at seeing him.  They couldn't believe how similar we are.  That reaction wasn't limited to my school because a lot of Koreans would do a double-take at us when they passed us on the street.  I'm sure that for nearly all the Koreans who saw us it was the first time they saw foreigners who were related, walking together.

He's one of those sneaky photographer's.

Making some friends.


Catching up on missed times.

It wouldn't be the same without Jonathan and a random Korean girl!
            Lastly, my laptop died this week.  I'm pretty pissed because I'd been working on our trip to the DMZ and making it into a polished video.  Now I'll just post the pics and videos I've got on my iTouch as best I can.

No comments: