Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Christmas

            Well Christmas has come and gone here in Gwangju.  I had a great time hanging out with some good people, eating some great food and enjoying a white Christmas.  Before the weekend started I went to trivia and watched Graham and his team win.  It was pretty cool since it was his last trivia before heading back to England.  The next day I went to work with some candy and my Santa hat.  The kids loved seeing me in the hat and it was fun handing out candy.
            On Christmas Eve I went to a dinner hosted by the First Alleyway restaurant.  Everyone paid in advance and showed up ready to chow down.  One thing I noticed was that the bartender was late because of a migraine.  So I volunteered to get behind the bar and pour some drinks.  After everyone had a drink, I helped move some wine cases.  When I reached down to pick up a case, hearing everyone's worst nightmare, my pants ripped. 

It's always funny unless it's you.
            As you can see this wasn't a little rip.  This was a seismic rip down the seam.  I have to blame rugby and trying to do a proper squat when picking up the wine case.  Fortunatly the food came just after this so I was able to sneak out and grab a taxi to get home.  Obviously I wasn't in the mood to chat with a taxi driver but that meant I was going to get the chattest one in Gwangju!  He certainly did talk my ear off by asking the classic Korean questions.  For example, "Oh you prum America?" Ne (Yes). "Ohhhh you so handsome!" Kamsahminda (Thank you). 
            After his last comment I realized that he had a speech impediment.  I thought to myself, "You're bitching about some ripped pants and this guy is proud to be working and getting the chance to practice his English on a foreigner.  Quit being a douche."  So I started asking him questions, making jokes and by the time I got to my apartment we were laughing our heads off.  Once home I got my money out to pay and he said, "Discount."  I thanked him and gave him extra what the original tab was and told him, "Merry Christmas." It really is better to give than receive.
            Afterwards, I went back to First Alleyway and enjoyed the food.  Later on, I met up with Graham and the crew and watched the snow fall. 

Santa at First Alleyway.

It was Kyle's birthday too.

It was quite a feast.

Snowing on Christmas Eve.

Two hours and two inches later it was still coming down.
            On Sunday I got up, made some mashed potatoes, and headed off to German Bar.  There were a dozen or so people who showed up for a potluck dinner.  We hung out all day, played games, sang some songs and had a great Christmas day.  Afterwards, I skyped TL and the family to bring it all to a close. 

North Korean Cognac.



Setting up.

A cosmopolitian spread.

I had KFC, rolls, mashed potatoes, mexican beans and rice, pasta, Korean rice, curry and bulgogi.

Hilarious.

Graham, Brian and I.

            It was weird experiencing Christmas in a culture that doesn't get into it.  They might go to church but there's no big dinner and all the stores stay open.  I'll never forget it but I don't want to repeat it.

No comments: