Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Seoul Part 2-Rugby Matches

            The next morning I woke up, roused up James and Jonathan and we were off to get some breakfast.  I had realized that I’d forgotten my mouthpiece so Jonathan and I walked around some department stores and after jumping some do not enter signs we finally found a store to buy one.  We rushed off to find the fields and slowly realized that we didn't know where the fields were because even though we were at the right park, we were on the wrong side of the park so we missed the first game.  This is Seoul and the park was at massive, at least 6 miles long. We finally made it to the fields, loosened up and played the next game.  I had some first game jitters but it was awesome playing out there. 
            Now before I describe how it felt playing throughout the day I’ll go ahead and explain the rules of rugby.  Watch this video for a great visual on the basic rules and how to score. 


            So now that you know how the game works when I played in the second game I did much better, read the game better, thus played faster and scored my first try (similar to a touchdown).  The third game was the best, even though we lost, because I was in the middle of it all.  Hitting guys, pushing them back, chasing down their fastest player to prevent a try, reading where the ball was going to go and being there to stop the giant of a man running full-speed at me.  We might have lost by one try but I learned so much in that game that I hadn’t from the other games when we had dominated.  Jonathan also played because of injuries to some of our regular players and I was pretty proud of him for getting in the middle of it too.
Ready to go.
            On the way home James and I had another fantastic conversation about life, liberty and your passions.  I feel that a person’s happiness comes from the pursuit of your passions. He agreed but pointed out that without controlling your passions then you'll miss out on the moments in life that remind you to enjoy life.  While we were talking we met a Korean girl who had just finished college in Texas.  It was pretty funny listening to her complain about how Koreans don’t apologize for bumping into you, that she didn’t like Kimchi and how much she missed Mexican food.  But when James and I asked her what type of job she wanted and why she couldn’t tell us.  We asked what she was passionate about and she couldn’t answer that either.  So we told her that when she could tell us those things we would take her to the one Mexican restaurant in Gwangju.  To date neither one of us has heard from her.
             How about you?  Can you answer those questions that we asked her and if not will you try to?

No comments: