Friday, September 2, 2011

26th Birthday!!

            This past weekend had the good luck of my birthday falling on Saturday night.  Clearly, this birthday was a bit different since I’m not home in the States but I decided to make the most of it by bringing a little bit of home out with me. 
            First, I was fortunate enough to get some birthday packages in the mail from friends, family and TL.  I have to say thank you to each of you who sent me a package, card, email card, Facebook post and Skype call to wish me a happy birthday.  It means a lot especially since I haven’t seen anyone, TL excluded, since March. 
My boss bought me a White Chocolate cake and it was delicious.
Inappropriate birthday cards for inappropriate wallpaper.
My new Kindle or Crackbook because I am already addicted.
            Now that you’ve seen my atrocious wallpaper and how I’m trying to cover it up I’ll fill you in on what I did on my birthday.  It was a beautiful day and I took advantage of it by going for a run, buying some groceries and deciding that I would wear an outfit to celebrate my 26th year on Earth.  So I bought some tight jeans, a flannel shirt and a proper cowboy hat to complete the ensemble.  I cut the jeans into jorts, ripped the sleeves off the shirt, added some orange to support Pat and voila I brought some of the South to Gwangju.
Birthday Suit
            I met up with Jonathan and his girl and we went to the Gwangju World Music Festival.  There were some pretty cool shows but the best one was a Korean band.  I was very impressed with how good the band was and how charismatic the singer was.  Remember the culture here is similar to the US in the 50’s, so when you see a Korean singer here in Gwangju that absolutely tears the stage up without being popish you take notice.

 

            After that we went to German bar to hang out with one of the coolest guys I’ve met here, Song.  He’s an officially licensed German brew master who started his own bar here in Gwangju, named appropriately, German Bar.  I always have a good time hanging out with him and his bar was the first place I took TL to as I knew she’d love it too.

Of course he has a matching cowboy hat since that's how he rolls.
            Next I went to another foreign bar and met up with Dan Henrickson and James.  We threw’em back, played some games and then I finished the night a couple of hours later.
         To end I want to congragulate Josh and Kali Righter for their wedding this weekend.  I know I'm missing out on a great wedding but I love you guys and have fun.
 Go Vols!

No comments: