Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Sliders Differences

            So this is one of those random posts that I haven’t put up yet.  I was walking to the bank yesterday to get an account here set up when I looked up and saw nothing but blue skies.  It was captivating to look up and see how the sky was that Robin’s egg blue.  I looked back down at the concrete and up to the people around me when it hit me.  I’m the only one that’s wearing sandals and sunglasses.  It’s 70 degrees out and I’m still the only one wearing sandals and sunglasses.  I quickly scanned my memory and couldn’t remember the last time I saw a Korean wearing either.  It was then that I understood that they don’t wear sandals because they take their shoes off whenever they go into someone’s home and it would be extremely rude to do that barefoot.  No wonder they give me such blank stares! 
            At this point I’ve already had that epiphany, so what is there that I’m not seeing?  It’s like being in Sliders and the characters notice the very small differences between their Universe and all the other ones.  Another difference is that there are no trash cans around.  They just don’t exist.  You have to recycle everything by putting them in special bags and then people come along and pick them up.  But these people aren’t with Waste Management or BFI, they’re typically older and they take the trash to a recycling center to get paid.  It’s kinda sad once you think about it. 
            I feel that the biggest difference I’ve noticed is that the drivers around here will run red lights.  Yup.  There’s pretty much no crime here but people will run red lights.  It’s unbelievable. The first time I saw it was a cab driver and I just assumed it was a lone wolf driver but I’ve since seen buses, regular drivers and a cab driver that I was with do it too.  Needless to say I don’t cross the street unless there are no cars are on it or the pedestrian cross is green.
            I’m sure that I’ll come up with a couple more but I’ll just have to save them for another time, hope you’re having a great day!

No comments: