Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The New Job

            After sleeping for 14 hours I got up and realized it was 6am!  Well I couldn’t get on my computer because I didn’t have an adaptor for the plug-ins here so I just practiced some simple Korean phrases and then went to get some breakfast.  I went outside still not sure what to expect but did not expect to find that there were no coffee shops open.  None.  And they are everywhere here!  I kept wondering around and finally found my caffeine fix in a Dunkin Donuts.  I’m not pumped about contributing to a global chain, especially since it isn’t Krispy Kreme but I needed some caffeine and a bagel and if the local places aren’t open then what choice do I have?
            I’m still perplexed by the fact that Koreans are work alcoholics but the local coffee shops don’t open until 11am.  Isn’t that defeating the purpose of being a COFFEE store?  I digress.  After that I had to meet my boss, Mi Eun, to get my physical.  I’m not worried about my health but I was thinking that this was going to take all day.  It would in the States.  Well we get there at 10am and for the next 80 minutes I have an eye exam, my blood pressure’s checked, my height and weight are measured, I get a chest x-ray, I go through a brief medical history interview, I get my blood drawn and I submit a urine test.  All in less time than it takes to watch Bruce Pearl’s career collapse.  I still am astounded at how efficient it was.  And the craziest part is that I never filled out any paperwork! The hospital staff just swiped my passport and that was it.  Incredible.
            After that I went back to my temporary apartment, ate some lunch and then went to the school.  I’m lucky enough that the girl whose position I’m replacing, she’s moving back to the States, has decided to help me out and show me the ropes.  So we go to each class, go through the lesson plan, practice the pronunciation and play some word games.  Sounds simple except the hardest part is not laughing.  For example the kids all stare at me and ask some questions about where I’m from, if I have a girlfriend that sort of thing.  Then one kid looks at me and says, “You’re a scary bearded man. Can I touch it?” 
            They've also called me the American Lumberjack and Jesus.  Yup Jesus, after that I went home and shaved.  I can’t really top that.  They also can't pronounce my name at all!  It's Rogen this or Teacher that.  And they love my last name.  They think it’s hysterical that my last name is Monday.  So they’ve already started calling me by whatever day it is, Logan Tuesday on Tuesday, Logan Friday on Friday, etc.  But my favorite so far comes from a hyperactive 8 year old.  I really sympathize with him because I too was the kid that couldn’t sit still and wanted to talk to my neighbors.  On my second day he gave a 3 min speech about his favorite party and there was wine, cheese, good music and a boat.  Oh he gave it in a white turtleneck with a blazer.  Yup you guessed it his name is now The Captain.
         

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really funny about the last name thing, my kids call me Coach Saturday on Saturday and Coach Tuesday on Tuesday, I guess 8 year olds have universal qualities.
And I can see the resemblance between you and Jesus, its striking actually.
I hope you continue loving it! And the blog is really awesome!

Anonymous said...

Great to see your apartment and hear from you! I enjoy the blog. We miss you,

Mom